Saturday, November 3, 2012

Time to study

The inn here in Winterrun is quite cozy.  Perhaps it is the raging winter outside as the is falling fast and furious.  It is so thick I cannot see the towers of the college from here.  A nice feeling of insulation.  No one looking at me so far with strange eyes as the "dragonborn" one.  The word I have also heard used, "Dovahkiin" the source of which I am uncertain. In ancient Sindar it would have been Amlungonnen.  But few can read Sindar anymore.  Perhaps no one in the north.  It was a dying fascination in the Citadel.

There is mage here I find fascinating. He claims to have been removed from the college.  But I wonder of his story.  I was in his room last night and he carefully hidden in a shelf a staff.  I could sense it had no power but a history.  A staff of status perhaps.  And he has books, a few, not many, but important books that I've seen nowhere else.  He is allowing me to read them.  So I will examine these before heading the hill as they say.

Already a small glimmer has given me an insight into the gift that I never had while at the Citadel.  That some had the ability to a greater or lesser degree to work with fire or light or even the power of lightening, to help the body heal, even in rare cases to firm the surface of water so that it could be walked upon...this was taken for granted at the Citadel.

My dreadful experience in the temple of the hill, now dedicated to guardian Mara by my repentant priest (if he is such), touched something in me.  The part I remember was clear.  I was transported in space - not far but clearly from one location to another.  It was like fabric had been folded over the corners that were opposite now touched and merged.  But not just space, the truly disorienting part was time.  Time folded.  I was in two times or no time.  Was it real?  Was it vision?  I don't know but time folded.  Present became past and past became present.  This is what had me so off kilter as I left the temple.  The clock was broken.  The laws that govern the world for a short time were corrupted until recovered.

The world is fluid and perhaps to its destruction.  But the world is fluid.  Messing with time seems very foolish and dangerous.  But space, I thought perhaps that might be useful, and in the ingestion of that potion, I sensed a hint of a power.  Using the enchanter I conducted an experiment and I was able to change the small space inside one of my belt packs.  It is as though it became a closet.  I expexperimented with an orkish sword I've been carrying as well as my mace.  Both went in handily and came out...into a small space smaller than the book I had been reading.  This will come in handy the next time I find a bunch of bandits sitting on stolen property that I could sell in a local village.  And I think on such a small and localized use, it is a safe use of the gift. Time I will leave alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment