Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Found...and lost

J'zargo and I waited patiently for the dark to grow deep, but as went the dark so went the cold.  With all the fur I don't think he felt it at all. 

We spotted movement in the distance, just beyond the entrance.  Got the drop on a Frost Troll.  I singed it a bit with fire and as it came roaring through the gate, J'Zargo hamstrung it.  The ruins were an invitation to exploration, but we had to work to do, so we headed for the main entrance.  I didn't know what to expect, but ghosts were not on the menu, especially not ghosts of student mages from the college.  They would appear frequently from time to time as we made our way through the ruins, each time loosing one of their member. 

Not to far in, there as gate that barred our way with walking skeletons on the other side.  I zapped them one at a time and good thing, because as soon as we passed all the way through, a great bone dragon roared up.  I knelt and concentrated everything I had into two casts of concentrated fire and blew it to pieces.  I don't think I could have survived the thing in close up combat.  Some great power was at work here.

We found a tablet naming this the city of Bromjunar.  (Comes up again later.)

Making our way through we were attacked by a frost spirit, a fire spirit, skeletons, draguirs all manner of undead.  Even a ghostly witch with flying enchanted skulls.  And a ghost wardog of all things.  Several of these. 

Oh, and don't forget the blasted trolls.  I hate trolls too.  Nasty beasts.

In one side passage I found a study area, soaked in blood, with a book about vampirism.  I hate vampires.

At various points a voice would speak to us sapping my gift from me.  At first I could not understand but then it spoke the common tounge.  Nothing much of consequence other than to warn me away and accusing me of coming on behalf of someone else. 

Deep into the catacombs we discovered ghosts and something of greater important, most worrying.  Ghostly enchanted weapons.  Weapons of pure energy or spirit.  They are not material, but yet they remain.  I took several swords, a couple of axes, and even a bow -- all with the ability to suck life and energy right out of you.  I look at them in my hand and they are vapor but they are there.  What manner of magic is this?  I've never seen anything like this.

Deep in the mountain we came upon a cavern with a throne.  I thought we had arrived.  A dreadful dark dead lord arose and gave battle.  I was forced to retreat back up the passage as my very life was draining from me.  Between my medicines, my gift, and my excellent weapons I was able to hold on and defeat the monster, barely.  This has been my greatest foe.

As I looked down at the remains of this spectral foe, who had attacked me with a life draining battle axe, it suddenly occurred to me that J'Zargo wasn't there.   I found his body at the base of the steps just outside the chamber. I suspect he had covered my retreat as I withdrew for healing and was killed by the power of that battle axe.  I lay his body to rest in that same chamber.


At its base, I felt once again the power of the word -- it hummed and it seemed that all went dark but the sound of the word.  And it flowed in me and came alive - the power to slow time.  Yes... I know for certain now - there is a connection between material, energy, space, and time:  and it is all governed by the Word.

I thought I was done, but then I remember I had not yet found the staff of Magnus.  I had found ancient sword of fire and a helmet enchanted with strong fire protection... but no staff.  I started down the hall that exited the end of the Word chamber only to find myself attacked again by spectral warriors and this time one who could summon a Frost Atronauch of the demon world.   Fortunately my gift with fire is coming alive again. 

Not much further, but some more deeper into the moutain I knew I had found my goal.  A great wizard of some sort was encased in bubble of energy fed by two captured mages.  When I tried to free them they turned on me and I had to slay them.  This set the mage to attacking me.  At first I was uncertain as to the nature of the attack but then realized he was draining off my gift.  I pulled out a staff of power and using cover I popped up throwing fire and using the staff and after a couple of dozen hits or so, he was done.

I found the staff, and a strange powerful mask for tapping into the source in the world around us.  When I first put on the mask a strange fleeting memory of name passed across my lips, "Morokei".  I will have too see who is this Morokei.

As I was about to make my way out of the ruins, I was confronted by a Thalmor mage.  Somehow he knew I would be here, claiming to know that damn Thalmor in the college who is causing all the trouble.  He tried to shock me into submission, probably wanting the staff... but my gift is coming alive.  I doubt he realized he was dealing with the man who used to be the Archmage of the Citadel. 

Coming out into the ruins I was not quite ready to leave... J'Zargo was on my mind  I climbed the walls and meditated for a bit on him and our short friendship.  Looking down, I saw something interest and found in a small structure a body, a note about a mask, and a strange wooden mask that hums with some sort of unidentified energy.   It was late afternoon.  Trolls were about. I had to kill and I could hear others. I was alone.  J'Zargo was dead.  It was time to leave.  I headed out of the mountains for home. 

It was a somber journey.  Didn't really talk to anyone on the road.  Saw no dragons.

My first task was to secure the strange mysterious powerful weaponry. I took one of each and using the arcane enchanter unraveled the mystery of how they suck life and power away.  I sold a few things, but I wouldn't dare sell these.  The wooden mask is tucked away safely. 

And an Ebony shied that I found, I enchanted with the power to fortify life resilency and I've name it the Shield of J'Zargo, for he was full of life.

So the evening of the 22nd of SunDisc finds me back home watching the stars come out as I stand on the small rise across from house. 

 Tomorrow I shall decide what to do next, but I think it is necessary to return to the college, though the snows will be coming hard I suspect farther north.

No comments:

Post a Comment