Monday, November 19, 2012

New Year

It is a new year.  It came in cold but clear.  Lidia and I set out for Dawnstar planning to head west to pursue the legend I learned about in the college months ago regarding an ancient long dead mage named Gaundilar.

Dawnstar was under attack by a powerful dragon.  I saw someone from a distance grabbed and torn apart by the beast.  I moved into position and blasted it repeated with lightening.  The town was in shock.  I was uncertain as to the dead.  Lidia and I departed west and overnighted in the shipwreck on the coast.

The next morning I spotted pillars of stone in the distance along the cost to the west and decided it was a look.  It must be marker of some kind for near was a Barrow with a dragon statue on its entrance.  Drawing near, in ancient ruins, the name "High Gate" was written above the door.  Gate to what?

There was a dead body outside and we found many more inside.  The walking dead that had been put down forever.  Further in we found a mage named Aska who was searching for geneological records of all things in this dreadful place.  She claimed an important priest named Vorkin had his crypt here.  It was worth a look.

Further in we came to a large chamber and I found once again the remnants of a large egg - what I suspect was once the egg of a dragon.  We made our way deep underground coming across a couple of Draguir lords who had some power with the voice, which concerns me.

Finding the main chamber, we also found a great menace, what I coming to call the unresting ancient dragon lords.  Another one was here. I had no choice to be confront it as Aska foolishly went after it and Lida rushed behind.  It was powerful with fire but was so I.  I covered behind a pillar and used a combination of fire and my most powerful staff to attack the evil lord.  Between the three of us he grew very weak, so I moved in close with steel and took his soul.

In the silence that followed, I could hear the pulse of a Word calling me.  I sought it out and found once again ancient wall inscribed in ancient language and the Word called to me, a powerful word, amazingly powerful,  the power of Storm.

We made our way out of the barrow and I resolved to test this word.  The heavens darkened.  Huge bolts of lightening began striking anything living indiscrimately.  I had to send Lidia inside under cover.  There is no control over this power.  Very dangerous.

 I had shared with a guard in Dawnstar that we were headed west.  A messenger of the Jarl found me later that day.  My friend, the blacksmith of Dawnstar was the one killed by the dragon.

We drew near to Solitude and I knew the ruins which were connect to the long dead mage were near. We were not the only ones with an interest.  We found a camp before it doors.  And a journal of a researching mage seeking for remnants of a powerful amulet that the mage used to wear.  Story goes the amulet was divided by his three sons after they killed him for it.  If so, I already hold one piece.  With the Thalmor nosing around and representatives of the Council of the Citadel seeking artifacts as well according to the mages of the college, it will not due to leave such things laying around.  And if it is as powerful as these notes suggested, nor should it be in the hands of just anyone. It sounds as if it has already brought great evil in the ancient world.  For this is relic of 4,000 years ago, an ancient time lost to memory.  This I would discover later, deeper in the tomb.

Inside the barrow were signs of battle.  The mage had help but they lay dead amidst Draguir that no longer walked as well.  I found the mage dead, killed by a Draguir but his study notes revealed why the tomb was important.  One of the sons and holder of the amulet was entombed herein. 

I found his grave and he was awake to protect it.  But he was weaker than the dragon lords and not so hard to overcome.  The fragment is in my possession now.

And once again, I felt the calling of the Word.  This time the word for Cold.  A word very much at home here in the North.


 And I was cold and desired a warm hearth, so Lidia and I turned our way, crossed the river, and made our way into Solitude.  She had never been here either.  We discovered it is a hotbed for Legion activity as well as the Thalmor having a headquarters here. 

Entering the town we discovered a execution being carried out.  Supposedly the man was guilty of helping the killer of the high king to escape.  Murderer or not this depends on who you ask.  Some claim that according to ancient Nordic tradition, a challenge was offered and accepted.  But the winner of the duel it appears has no love for the Empire nor the Empire for him, or his friends.  

We found the Inn and settled in.




No comments:

Post a Comment