Thursday, November 1, 2012

Mixed Feelings

I made my journey to meet Farkas and together we penetrated deep into the ancient tomb that was said to contain a fragment of an ancient weapon named Wutherad.  When I asked him about the nature of this weapon, I was taken aback to hear him say it was a great weapon of the first Companion and was used to slay the elves to make room for the human expansion in the northern lands. 

Perhaps my conflicted feelings regarding men and elves was the reason I found myself blundering into a trap and getting myself locked into a cage.  Farkas was having a good laugh at his expense when our situation grew serious.  Suddenly a group of warrior descended upon him. I thought for sure the would do for him, but then before my eyes he turned into a might wolf man.  I have heard of this thing, but have never seen it.  I always before it was more myth than reality.  Even as I write this, I am troubled by this new insight in the Companions.  His foes all bore silver swords, which I can understand as we ourselves began to run into the undead on this journey.  Farkas released me and we battled a few "dead men" until we came across more silver wielding foes.  I thought to take down one or two with my bow, but stupidly missed an easy shot and found  myself in a face to face battle.  Glamdring held her own at one putting cutting through a silver sword deep into the chest of my foe. 

We found the shard as rumoured, but I found more...way more.  Farkas did not see but I heard.  Another word, written in an ancient language I cannot read, below a great engraving of a dragon, called to me and my blood stirred once again.  But like the other, it lies below the surface and I know not how to call it forth or even it can be called forth.  I do not know what it is.

We triggered something.  Whether was the word or taking the shard, but suddenly dozens upon dozens of undead were upon us.  I was up high and blasted them with fire while Farkas held the approach.  It was due to our position that we survived. 

Up top, it was middle night so we rested until dawn.  I reluctantly left behind much in the way of weapons and armour.  I could have sold these and made tidy profit, but I could carry so much and Farkas no interested. 

We returned to the Circle that is the heart of the companions and they welcomed me as one of them, a member of the companions, not the circle.  And I do not know if I would want the new reality that would bring. 

The next morning I decided to seek out the court mage to see what he could tell me of the elves and men and their history and of the sword.  He knew little beyond that these northern lands were among the first to be settled by men and that elves were concerned about how short our lives are and how fast we reproduce.  Elves live long and have few children and live in harmony with the land.  Man on the other hand....well you know.

On my way out I asked the steward if he new of any carpenters who could do some work around the house in my absence and he promised to see to it.  He was staring forlornly at a map of military forces.  It would appear the conflict between empire and the rebels is growing with a clear demarcation of position.  I shall have to be cautious.  

I did not tell him of my dream from Glamdring, but did ask if he had books on the ancient lost languages.  In a smal glossery I found the meaning for the words "glam" "dringonay".  Glam clearly means foe or enemy.  Drionay would best translate into the common tounge as devestator, destroyer, basher...   So my sword is "Foe Basher".  Maybe the sword responded to my new insight, or maybe a bit of my old skill with enchanting weapons and armor begins to return, but using the archane enchanting device the mage had in possession I was able to awaken a small portion of the spirit that I believe resides in the blade. 

So I carry a blade from an ancient time that was used to destroy a mighty and evil foe.  I wonder about that age.  I will have seek out ancient tombs, perhaps in the collection locked away in the college.  But it is far away and will to wait for now.

I am thinking to return to Riverwood for two reasons.  One from there I dispatch a courier south with a letter to my grandmother's family to see what I can learn of our estates in the north.  And I wish to seek out Faengal, my elvish friend, to see if he would be interested to return to the barrow site and recover that small treasure in weapons. 




No comments:

Post a Comment